October is a fun and exciting month. For some of us, the leaves are changing colors, and the weather is becoming colder, but it also means that Halloween is near. Many of us love Halloween and the autumn season, especially the smells and tastes of the season! With the fall comes pumpkins, and lots of them, especially with Halloween around the bend. It seems like almost everyone enjoys pumpkin season, but what’s not to love? Carving Jack O’ Lanterns is fun for both young and old alike, and pumpkins are not only edible, but they are delicious too. There’s a good reason behind that pumpkin spice craze.
If you are looking for a new way to enjoy pumpkin, you should try drinking it by turning it into a delicious punch. Believe us when we tell you that the extra effort is worth it, especially if you are looking for a seasonal cocktail to enjoy with friends. Check out this Mexican pumpkin punch recipe to add some kick to the autumn and Halloween season!
Mexican Pumpkin Punch Recipe
• 3 ½ cups of fresh pureed pumpkin (or 1 29-ounce can of pumpkin puree)
• 12 cups of water
• 2 cups coconut sugar
• 4 Ceylon cinnamon sticks
• 2 lemons
• Pineapple chunks for serving (optional)
• Splash of rum (optional)
1. In a large pot, combine the cinnamon sticks, coconut sugar, and the 12 cups of water.
2. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Be sure to stir continuously until the sugar is dissolved.
3. Stir in the pumpkin and return to a simmer.
4. Using a vegetable peeler, remove the zest from the lemons. You can make wide strips.
5. Add the lemon zest to the pot and let it simmer for 15 minutes.
6. Shut off heat and let cool. Refrigerate until the punch is cold and the pumpkin pulp settles at the bottom. This typically takes 2 to 3 hours.
7. Using a glass pitcher, ladle the fluid into a fine strainer to remove the lemon zest and the pumpkin pulp. Discard pulp and repeat if needed.
8. Put the cinnamon sticks back into the punch and keep in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
9. Serve in an ice-filled glass, and add pineapple and/or rum if desired.