Low Carb Dieters in Luck For Holiday Season
Yes, the season is only a couple days away, that six week period of parties and celebrations that dieters often fear.
You’ve read all the warnings. 2000 calorie dinners, diet-busting parties. I mean the mainstream press would scare you out of six weeks growth, if you buy into their negative worldview.
But here at the Silver Cloud, we know better. The Silver Cloud Diet is a positive, flavorful diet made up of the kinds of foods you can find on most buffet tables: turkey, ham, roast beef. Cheese boards, mixed nuts, olives. Often, you’ll find a lovely simple green salad with a vinaigrette. So what’s the problem?
Sure, you should pass up the mashed potatoes, the bread dressings, and the ordinary gravy. Sugary cranberry sauces or pumpkin pies, you can abjure. No you’ll say, but quietly, to yourself. No reason to upset the others.
But will you suffer? I don’t think so. You can have a cocktail, provided it has no sugary mixer. You can drink lots of delicious seltzer water. Best coffee in the house. Tea.
All that being said, here are our suggestions for having a wonderful holiday party.
- Don’t go nattering on to everybody about how you’re on a diet. They don’t want to hear it.
- If the party is a buffet, walk the entire buffet before you put one bite of food on your plate.
- Make food choices that fit with the Silver Cloud Diet plan. Meat, cheese, fish, nuts, olives, simple salads. Plenty of raw crudités: celery, cucumbers, almost anything green.
- Mentally divide your plate into thirds. One third for protein, one third for salad, and one third for the luscious munchies.
- Ask for a low carb cocktail, choose seltzer water, coffee or tea.
- Put your plate down after one serving. Enjoy yourself. Eat a bit of cheese for dessert.
- Concentrate on the conversations, the fascinating people, the splendor of the day.
- Don’t be so focused on the food. It’s only the underpinnings of the party.
- Let your sparkling personality shine. It’s your holiday and we wish you the very best.