Chlorella is quickly becoming more well-known in the health food community as a powerful superfood. However, while chlorella is a nutritional powerhouse, the taste (and look) of it is enough to make most people gag. For many, taking chlorella mixed into water or juice is not an option. It doesn’t always mix well, and the look of it is not appealing. While chlorella supplements are available for purchase and provide an easy way to ingest this green superfood, many do not like taking supplements that use binding agents. The best way around this dilemma is to mask the look and taste of chlorella, by putting it into food!
If you are looking for a simple, yet tasty way to incorporate chlorella into your diet, look no further. Give this delicious chlorella cacao energy balls recipe a try!
Chlorella Cacao Energy Balls Recipe
• 8-10 pitted Medjool dates
• 3 tbsp. of your choice of nut butter (peanut, almond, cashew, etc.)
• 1 tbsp. of chlorella powder
• 1/3 cup of raw cacao powder
• 2 tbsp. of cacao nibs
• 1 tbsp. of hemp seeds
• 1 tbsp. of flaxseed meal (ground flaxseed)
• 1 tsp of vanilla extract
• 1 cup of chopped nuts (your choice)
• 3 tbsp. of your choice of liquid sweetener (i.e., honey, maple syrup, coconut nectar, etc.)-adjust to taste
• 3 tbsp. of unrefined coconut oil
• Shredded coconut for rolling
1. Place all of the ingredients, minus the shredded coconut, into a food processor or blender. Pulse mixture until well combined.
2. Taste and adjust if needed.
3. On a sheet of parchment paper or in a bowl spread out the shredded coconut to prepare for rolling.
4. Roll the mixture with your hands into approximately 1-inch balls, and then roll into the shredded coconut to coat.
5. Place balls in an airtight container, and place in the refrigerator. Chlorella cacao balls will keep up to two weeks in the fridge.