Feta is a full-flavored cheese that can be used in small amounts. Here it is mixed with a little cream cheese (lowering the carbohydrate content even more) and used as a stuffing for chicken.
Feta-Stuffed Chicken Recipe
Makes four servings (Diet from Fight Fat with Fat Book – Page 116)
• 1/4 cup crumbled basil-and-tomato feta cheese (1 ounce)*
• 2 tablespoons (1 ounce) cream cheese
• 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves (about 1/4 pounds total)
• Dash sea salt
• 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
• 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
• 1/4 cup chicken broth
• 1 10-ounce package prewashed fresh spinach, trimmed
• 2 tablespoons walnut or pecan pieces, toasted
• 1 tablespoon lemon juice
• Lemon slices, halved (optional)
1. In a small bowl, combine feta cheese and cream cheese; set aside.
2. Using a sharp knife, cut a horizontal slit through the thickest portion of each chicken breast half to form a pocket. Stuff pockets with the cheese mixture. If necessary, secure openings with wooden toothpicks. Sprinkle chicken with pepper and salt.
3. In a large nonstick skillet, cook chicken in hot oil over medium-high heat about 12 minutes or until tender and no longer pink, turning once (reduce heat to medium if chicken browns too quickly.)
4. Remove chicken from skillet. Cover and keep warm.