Autumn Harvest brings a new wonder at the Farmer’s Market. On her way home from her New York City market, our friend, Joan Asher, not only picked up a gorgeous sugar pumpkin, she also took this shot. As Joan said, this is what Autumn looks like.
The pumpkins coming on the market now are a wonder of nutrients for Silver Clouders in the marathon phase of the diet. Loaded with phytonutrients including a big jolt of beta carotene. Pumpkin is both filling, and full of fiber. Quite a good addition to your healthy meal plan, plus it tastes great. Adding shiritaki noodles adds additional fiber and makes this a powerhouse lunch at about 150 calories. Yum.
Dutch Cream Pumpkin Soup
1 small sugar pumpkin (OR 1 15-oz. can pumpkin puree)
1 quart light cream
1 quart chicken broth OR water
1 large sweet yellow onion, finely chopped
6 pieces bacon
1 pound French green beans (fresh or frozen)
½ teaspoon thyme leaves
¼ teaspoon rosemary needles chopped
¼ teaspoon oregano leaves
4 tablespoons sour cream
½ cup grated gouda cheese
1. Precook the pumpkin, whole in the microwave for about 10 minutes. Cut it open, place seeds on a baking sheet and set them aside for roasting*.
2. Scoop out pumpkin flesh into a soup pot, add cream and water and cook about 10 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, fry bacon in a skillet until crisp-tender. Pour bacon fat into the soup. Crumble the bacon pieces and set aside.
4. Add green beans and shiritaki noodles* to the soup whole then add herbs and cook until the beans are tender, about 4 minutes for frozen, or up to 10 minutes for whole. Adjust seasonings with sea salt and cracked black pepper.
5. Stir in sour cream and cheese.
6. To serve, scoop into soup bowls, then top with crisp bacon crumbles and roasted pumpkin seeds.
- To roast pumpkin seeds arrange in a single layer on a baking dish. Top with butter and season with salt and pepper. Add a shot of chile powder. Roast in a hot oven, just until crisp, about 5 minutes. Set aside until serving time.
- Shiritaki noodles are available at your Chinese grocers or at www.miraclenoodle.com.