Hope you had a wonderful Memorial Day weekend. Here are a couple of low-carb recipes to help with your celebration leftovers.
Barbeque Chicken Salad
- 2 pieces leftover barbeque chicken, meat removed from bone
- 2 celery stalks, small dice
- 1/2 medium red onion, small dice
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons leftover barbeque sauce
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 leaves romaine lettuce
In a medium bowl mix together the chicken, celery, onion, mayonnaise and barbeque sauce. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Divide the chicken salad evenly into 4 servings, place each serving into a lettuce leaf, wrap, and serve.
Eggs in Purgatory
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1 (15-ounce) can organic crushed tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups leftover Bloody Mary mix
- Sea Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil leaves
- 4 organic, cage-free eggs
Heat the olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and saute until soft, about 5 minutes, then add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute. Stir in the crushed tomatoes, reserved Bloody Mary mix and season with salt and crushed red pepper. Let simmer 5 minutes and then add the basil.
Crack the 4 eggs into the tomato sauce, and cook until the whites are set and the yolks are still runny. Transfer some of the sauce into 2 shallow serving bowls. Add 2 eggs to each bowl and serve with a side of your favorite meat.
Remember to use organic ingredients!