Let’s face it. Bacon makes everything better. No matter how you like your bacon, chewy or crispy, bacon seems to make everything taste better when paired with other foods. In fact, foods that you may not have liked initially, such as asparagus, you may love once it’s paired with bacon. While asparagus is naturally delicious and typically well-loved, we all know that meat lover that despises most, if not all, vegetables. If you have someone like this in your life and you want to make them change their tune, see if this delicious dish doesn’t change their mind!
This summer add some flair to your dinner menu, or next BBQ with this delicious and nutritious bacon wrapped asparagus recipe. This recipe is quick and simple, and is sure to impress and delight all of your dinner guests!
Bacon Wrapped Asparagus Recipe
• 18-20 stalks of asparagus, trimmed (aim for thicker stems)
• 9-10 high-quality bacon slices, cut in half lengthwise
• ½ tsp black pepper
• ¼ tsp garlic powder
• ½ tsp Himalayan pink salt
• 1 Tbsp. extra-virgin coconut oil or ghee (melted)
• Toothpicks (optional)
1. If using an oven, preheat to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. It is best to use a baking sheet that has an oven-safe wire rack placed onto it. Otherwise, a sheet of parchment paper on a baking sheet will work.
2. Lightly coat the asparagus with coconut oil or ghee, and then season with the black pepper and garlic powder to taste. Remember, your stalks should be relatively thick. You don’t want to use asparagus that has thin stalks, because by the time the bacon cooks through they may get mushy.
3. If your bacon isn’t already cut, cut each bacon slice lengthwise to make narrower strips of bacon. Then tightly wrap each asparagus with a slice of bacon, while slightly overlapping the bacon on each stalk. You can use a toothpick to secure the ends. If you wish to coat and season each bacon-wrapped spear some more, you can do so at this time.
4. Arrange the wrapped asparagus on the grill, wire rack or baking sheet. If toothpicks were not used to secure the bacon in place, place each asparagus, spear seam side down, onto the wire rack or baking sheet.
5. If using the oven, bake for 10-15 minutes, or until the asparagus is tender and the bacon is crispy. To help with the process you can turn each spear about halfway through. Then set the oven to broil and only leave in for an additional 1-2 minutes.
6. If using a grill, cover, and cook for 10-12 minutes, or until the asparagus is tender and the bacon is crispy.
7. Discard toothpicks. Serve and enjoy!