The metabolic syndrome is a clustering of risk factors including abdominal obesity, elevated fasting glucose (also called insulin resistance or “pre-diabetes”), hypertension, elevated triglycerides, and lowered high-density lipoprotein (HDL- good cholesterol). This syndrome contributes to disease risk that may increase the changes of an early death from multiple causes. Epidemiological evidence suggests that people with low-levels of omega-3 in their blood have as much as a 2.4-fold higher risk of having metabolic syndrome. On the other hand, people with the highest intakes of omega-3s have as much as a 46% lower risk of metabolic syndrome!
• Supplementation with omega-3s has an anti-obesity effect. It reduces total fat mass, abdominal fat mass, the size of individual fat cells, and raises levels of the beneficial cytokine adiponectin.
• Higher plasma omega-3 levels correlate with improved insulin sensitivity and glucose tolerance. Supplementation both prevents and reverses insulin resistance, especially in conjunction with a high-fat, low-carbohydrate diet.
• Average doses of 3.7 grams/day of fish oil reduce both systolic and diastolic blood pressure. Additional studies with doses as low as 1 gram/day also showed decreases in systolic blood pressure.
• Omega-3 supplementation dramatically lowers triglycerides and other risk factors for atherosclerosis. One gram per day of fish oil was shown to normalize triglyceride levels in elderly people and protect them from rising levels.
• Higher omega-3 plasma levels are correlated with higher HDL levels. Supplementation with omega-3s resulted in a reduction in the ratio of triglycerides to HDL level, a beneficial change.
Other Benefits of Omega-3 Supplementation
• Combat stress and cortisol damage
• Battle depression and anxiety
• Protect your tissues and organs from inflammation
• Help fight against cancer at its earliest stages
• Vital protection for kidney and liver function
• Reduce risk of Alzheimer’s Disease
• Promote healthy skin, nails and hair
• Reduce cardiovascular disease
• And more!
Dr. Salerno’s Recommended Omega-3 Products:
• Daily Essentials Factor is a high-quality multi-vitamin, multi-mineral formula that contains 2,880mg of pure omega-3 fish oil (1,680mg of EPA, 1,200 mg DHA)
• Omega Factor is a high concentrate EPA and DHA formula for maximum benefit
While the value of Omega-3 fish oil supplementation is widely known, their quality and potency can vary significantly. Dr. Salerno’s EPA and DHA formulas are independently tested for:
• Purity – Dr. Salerno’s formula is one of a handful of supplements whose fish oil capsules comply with the CRN Monograph. Our fish oils are tested for pesticides, heavy metals and contaminants.
• Potency – Dr. Salerno’s capsules are among the most potent available. Most other products require patients to take up to four times as much to equal a single dose of ours.
Article excerpt from Life Extension Magazine, October 2011